Monday, February 4, 2008

dicourse #4 paragraph 1

I think the first big main point he is getting at is the search for truth. I find it really interesting that to find truth Descartes feels or says you need to first doubt everything, and reject everything that he could imagine any doubt. I'm not sure but i think he saying for it to be true it has to have no doubt. I think he's getting at you have to doubt everything you can imagine and everything you were ever taught, because who's to say it was true. The biggest point in this first paragraph is that the only thing he can not doubt is himself because he must be true and he must exist if he can think....

jimmy

4 comments:

Rachel said...

yea I agree. I'm not sure if this comes a little bit later but he uses the idea of geometry. People tend to use mathematics as a metaphor for proving something because of the use of equations. But who is actually to say that that person solved it correctly. Interesting.... I don't know maybe I'm wrong here

Jimmy VanValen said...

i think that's exactly what he is saying. i think you're right about the math metaphor. and i agree that it goes further than just geometry i think it goes for anything

Chris Rehonic said...

I can't agree with Descarte on this one, because i don't think people should doubt everything and then try to prove it. Descarte believes God is perfect, and God made earth and everything that is natural on earth. In this it seems that Descarte is contradicting himself by saying we should now doubt everything we see for being there and prove how its there.

stephanie said...

I agree with you that Descartes says we should doubt everything first and I find that a little funny because later on he says that we can not doubt God. And if we doubt God than we can not believe in other things. And if we can not believe in other things without doubting them then aren't we doubting the creator of these things, which is God.